Where to Watch Birds in Ethiopia
- Ethiopia is one of Africa's top birding destinations, harbouring dramatic scenery, a wonderful diversity of habitats, over 30 endemic species, and a number of other regional specialities that cannot be easily seen anywhere else in the world. No self-respecting world lister can afford not to go there! This new book is a comprehensive site guide to the 50 best birding sites in the country. The book is completed with an annotated checklist of all the country's birds and more than 150 photographs of birds, habitats and even some of Ethiopia's other fauna and flora.
Birds of The Horn of Africa - Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia, Socotra (Paperback)
- Long awaited, (and now updated!) the first ever field guide to North East Africa. More than 1000 species, well illustrated with concise text and up to date maps on the facing pages. A very welcome addition to African bird literature.
Collins Illustrated Checklist:
Birds of Eastern Africa
- I took this book with me for
a two week family holiday in Kenya where I visited
Tsavo game parks, coastal regions and also went on
a bush walk near Mombasa. As a beginner to African
birds I found the illustrations and brief descriptions
very helpful and in some cases it was superior to the
larger reference books that I had studied before I
Field Guide to the Birds of
- This field guide to a spectacular
region for birding covers all the resident, migrant
and vagrant birds of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda,
Rwanda and Burundi, describing a remarkable 1388 species.
The plates show 3400 images illustrating all the plumages
and major races likely to be encountered. Set opposite
the plates are concise descriptive accounts describing
identification, status, range, habits and voice, and
range maps for each species.
Where to Watch
Birds in Africa
One of a series of guides devoted
to birdwatching, this book contains site accounts,
plans, maps, lists of birds in the regions and advice
on planning bird-watching trips. It deals with over
200 sites in detail, and mentions many others. Each
country is covered alphabetically, including archipelagos
and isolated islands off the African mainland, for
example, the Azores. Bird lists are included under
the headings "Endemics", "Specialities", "Others" and
also "Other Wildlife", if relevant. Access
details are given, often with detailed site maps.
The emphasis of the book is "bird finding",
that is, where to go for the "best" species.
Lonely Planet: Watching Wildlife:
David Andrew, Susan
- This invaluable guide covers
more than 100 bird and wildlife-watching destinations
in East Africa, (Kenya, Uganga, Tanzania and
Rwanda.). The itineraries include the Amboseli, Tsavo
and Masai Mara National Parks and the bird rich areas
of Lakes Naivasha and Begoria. Each featured destination
is accompanied by maps to the best sites. An extensive
photo gallery features all the main bird and mammal
Recommended travel books for Ethiopia:
Lonely Planet: Ethiopia and
- This guide explores the region's
national parks, historical sites, tribal villages,
modern cities and old monasteries. It contains practical
advice for independent travellers, covering getting
around and where to stay. It also offers details of
the region's tribes and languages.