Cuba a report in.pdf format (107kB) by Diederik van der Molen
- We were up as dawn broke [about 6am] and out at the front of the Hotel, eagerly searching for our first birds....There was no doubt about the bird of the morning - for some, the bird of the trip. Our first Red-Legged Thrush stole the show by a distance...Bob Biggs reports.
Cuba a report in .pdf format (2Mb) by Ian Mills
- We had just started eating breakfast when Josele had noticed a pair of Greater Antillean Orioles sat in some bamboo just outside the restaurant...Mark Easterbrook reports.
Cuba a report in .pdf format (1.5Mb) by Hans-Åke Gustavsson
You’re never very far from a Turkey Vulture
- Before we had even left the airport at Holguin in Cuba for our Hotel near Guardalavaca, Turkey Vultures were soaring above. Abundant was definitely the right word for these birds which seemed to be overhead whenever eyes went to the skies for the next 2 weeks...Ian Hughes reports.
Playa Pesquero, Holguin, Cuba
- This year we
decided to spend our family summer holiday at the hotel Playa
Pesquero in the Holguin province of Cuba. While the holiday
was primarily a beach/snorkelling/relaxation holiday, I was
able to take some pre breakfast and evening walks to a number
of birding sites within 20 minutes of the resort....John
- Go in March (or April), this is
the single best time! You will see migrating American warblers,
have a better chance at Gundlach’s Hawk and the quail-doves...Eduard
- After an extensive search, we finally
heard a Gray-headed Quail-Dove, and it didn’t take long to track down the calling perched individual.
Again, excellent views. Chino then took us to a nest site of Gundlach’s
Hawk....Wim Heylen and Cindy Van den Broeck report.
Video: Cuba: Wild Island of the Caribbean.
- Coming soon in the BBC Natural world
series: A wildlife spectacular from Cuba, Jumping Crocodiles
to the mating display of the Bee Hummingbird. Lots of endemic
birds are featured, some in full song. 53 Minutes + 10 minutes
of bonus material. Order direct from Free Spirit Films.
£18.00 + P&P email@example.com
Available in all international standards. Superb and highly
- Our aim was to see as many of Cuba's endemic
bird species and subspecies as possible, as well as the general
West Indian specialities. Considering our timing in March, many
of the North American wintering migrants should be present in
good numbers too...Tony Murray reports.
- This day would provide me with my highest
ever total of lifers in one day, and Chino knows exactly where
to find all the specialities. We saw four new birds in Estrella's
garden before setting off: Cuban Emerald, Black-cowled Oriole,
Tawny-shouldered Blackbird and Cuban Blackbird....Alex Kirschel
Birding Trip Report from Cuba
- Our guide was of top quality, and within
minutes, we had excellent views of Cuban Trogon, one of the species
that was on my wish list for the trip. We also saw Yellow Headed
warbler, Cuban Bullfinch, GL Cuckoo, Black and White warbler,
West Indian woodpecker, Northern flicker, Grey Catbird, Cuban
Grassquit, Mourning dove, Cuban Blackbirdand Cuban Peewee and
two of the birds of the trip Black Cowled Orioleand Cuban Tody.....Derek
The Birds of Cuba
- "Isn't that an owl sitting up there, at
the top of that tree?" We were birding in the cool mountain country
of western Cuba, in pine forest in La Guira National Park. We
had just searched successfully for Cuban Solitaire and were turning
our attention to Olive-capped Warblers flitting high in the canopy,
when Jack called out to us about an owl he'd spotted.....Richard